This happened to me last week. Yet another lesson learned. I was working on debugging some code at work. Someone was complaining about some functionality in an element we draw on screen. In order to better diagnose the problem, I wanted to create an example and see if I couldn’t get the problem to reproduce. Not a bad first step.
The problem was that as I wrote out the code I made a typo on the code I was writing. I wrote something like the following snippet:
// ... int x = pixels2OtherUnitsX(20); int y = pixels2OtherUnitsX(23); // ...
If you look closely you will see that I’m using
pixels2OtherUnitsX() in both cases, where I should probably be using
pixesl2OtherUnitsY() in the second case. Oops.
What do you know, my image didn’t render correctly on screen. I had recreated the bug that someone said was out there. Now all I had to do was figure out where in our production code the bug was. I spent way too long looking around for the problem.
Lesson don’t be so blinded by your desire to find a bug you miss one that is right in front of your face.